Saturday 27 January 2018

Question: Does altitude affect your vestibular symptoms

Hi guys

Over the years I have read about how air pressure and the weather etc can exacerbate dizziness and vertigo symptoms. There appears to be plenty of evidence to suggest that changes in pressure can have a detrimental affect on people suffering from a vestibular disorder such as Menieres. I know that I can feel worse depending on what the weather is like outside.

What about altitude? I'm wondering if any of you guys out there that have a vestibular problem experience a change in symptoms (good or bad) when comparing higher/lower altitudes? I'm guessing some of you guys still travel despite your vestibular disorder and have perhaps noticed a difference in how you feel from one place to the next. Maybe you live in a place 5000ft above sea level and feel awful most of the time but then have taken a trip to a place say 50ft above sea level and felt much better.

How does a change in altitude affect your dizziness and vertigo?

Have any of you experienced a noticeable improvement in your vestibular symptoms and general well being at lower elevations in particular?

Feel free to leave a comment below

Thanks guys

Swimmyhead

13 comments:

  1. i ever had a dizzy in my head, every morning and if i got stressed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your message.I'm sorry to hear that you have had to suffer with dizziness.

      Delete
  2. i have had constant vertigo for the past 6 yrs and dizziness, vertigo issues 2 yrs before that as well.although i don't have an answer for the altitude question but i have tried a few things that have helped. if u give ur email address, i can further elaborate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    Thank you for leaving your comment. If you look to the right of my blog page and perhaps scroll down a little you will see a contact form. If you fill this in and hit send your message will be delivered to my personal email inbox and will not be made public. There is a character limit though.

    Thanks again, I appreciate it

    Swimmyhead

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't travel so no input on altitude but can confirm that warm temperatures make things much worse. My father calls my bedroom 'the meat locker' !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelley

      I don't travel either. I asked on behalf of another vestibular disorder sufferer. So warm temperatures make you worse. I have not noticed temp impacting my symptoms but I can say that dullness or brightness does. A bright sunny day for some reason helps somewhat balance wise but a my balance and dizziness is terrible on a dull,grey day. I have no idea why.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kelly,
      It does appear that The low Barometric pressure (cloudy and rainy days)does get it going quite often. I live in Florida. (quite warm). I have not noticed any difference on the temp. But I have traveled some to higher elevations. And I have not noticed any difference there Either.

      Delete
    3. I am thinking that altitude did effect
      my vertigo/dizziness. I got up off the
      couch from a nap and went into real spins.
      I had vertigo for 2 or 3 days then went
      to a doc that said I was in the aftermath of vertigo with just dizziness. He said that this would last for 7 to 10 days. I was leaving for Peru
      in 2 days. My dizziness got a little
      better, in that, it was bad in the morning and better as the day went on.
      It lasted longer than 10 days though. I
      believe that the altitude effected my
      "already dizziness" because it was gone
      as soon as I got back home in So. Calif.

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much for sharing

      Delete
    5. I stay in the Mnts 7 (4000 ft)months of the year then return to Miami. Have experienced BPPV on more than one occasion upon returning to sea level. Epley maneuver a few days seems to get me back on my feet.

      Delete
    6. That is great that the Epley maneuver works for you.

      Delete
  6. Higher altitude helped me a lot 8,000 or above

    ReplyDelete