Monday 10 December 2018

Not inner ear weakness

Hi Guys

A quick update about the MRI and Balance tests I recently had done. I won't be seeing my consultant until mid January to discuss the results. I gather that my MRI results are normal considering it will have been 2.5 months since I had it done by the time I see my consultant. If there was any concern I'm sure they would have wanted to see me much sooner.

I still have not had a fistula test but I did have a posturography test (never had it before) and another test that examines the functioning of all 3 semi circular canals in the ear. I can't remember the name but it involved glasses with a laser on them, a target on the wall that you fix your gaze upon and quick repeated head turns by the doctor whilst you do your best to maintain eye contact with the target. my results for this strongly suggested I have no inner ear weakness ( years ago a caloric test suggested no inner ear weakness either).

I supposedly performed very well on the posturography test. Great for my weight and height and compared to healthy individuals. Very strange since I certainly didn't feel like I did great. The moment you stand in the posturography machine it becomes disorientating. There are 6 tests overall. They involve the walls of the machine around you moving and the floor beneath you moving, eyes shut and eyes closed etc. I passed 5 tests with flying colours but failed one a number of times. From this it was determined that I rely heavily on my vision to balance.

So the conclusion is still vestibular migraine or something else going on but whatever I have it's NOT a result of inner ear damage/weakness. The doctor wants to send me to see a neurologist (migraine expert).

If you have been reading my blog you will know that I doubt the migraine diagnoses that I was first given several years ago. I still cannot believe that I can have a migraine for 11.5 years non stop with not a second break. Surely if it was migraine then the various medications I have taken coupled with the daily exercise, copious amounts of water I consume, migraine diet and time passed would have given me 5 minutes of normality at some time or other but I have not had 1 second feeling normal.

Still there are lots of migraine medications available that I have yet to try so it looks like that is what I will be doing.

Keep strong guys and keep searching for answers

Swimmyhead

No comments:

Post a Comment