Wednesday 6 November 2013

What is your worst symptom?

These symptoms are forever with me. They are less intense some of the time these days but at my worst I have a combination of symptoms that can be overwhelming:
  • The sensation of falling even when standing still or sudden sensations of falling through the back of a chair when sitting down.
  • Huge sensitivity to my body motion and motion of others/objects. Forget about tracking moving vehicles or people. People moving their hands during conversation can be disorientating and hard to track.
  • Vision is fuzzy and feels slow and sluggish as if capturing the world frame by frame if that makes sense.
  • The sensation of the floor moving and lifting up and down with every step and shift of weight.
  • Can become extremely spaced out/ distant and uncomfortable when holding conversation with someone which in turn increases all the other symptoms. I have had to leave get togethers early because of this.
  • Darkness or even just dim environments cause a sense of not being able to feel where I am in space. That sounds weird I know but it is true. Spatial awareness goes out of the window and I feel like I am floating and trying my best to balance.
  • My speech and short term memory have been effected. I stutter more/mumble find it harder to get out what I want to say. It can be embarrassing. It's normal for people to forget what they are talking about from time to time but since my vestibular upset this happens to me several times a day mid conversation especially on bad days/weeks.
  • The environment bobs back and forth up and down and jerks left and right. This is daily be it good or bad day.
  • Heaviness or pressured feeling in head. This can be awful. I would have to say this is one of my most relentless symptoms.
  • Loud sounds can disorientate me when my symptoms are full on. The sound of plates clanging in the kitchen when being cleaned can be almost to much.
  • My peripheral vision can cause me to see objects that are stationary being bounced around or appear is if they are floating. A few examples would be the sofa in the lounge appears to be hovering. When walking past parked cars they appear to be floating/bobbing. Sometimes I swear I see something move suddenly in the corner of my eye but nothing there.
  • Shops/supermarkets cause all of my symptoms to go into overdrive. They are hell on earth.
  • The only symptom that has truly improved for me is that initial detached from the world feeling that took hold of me. It took about 3 years for this horrible sensation to actually decrease in intensity but still can flare up from time to time. This can be very uncomfortable and disconcerting. I hated it.
  • When sitting or standing or even lying down the simplest of movements of my leg or a small shift in position can cause a sudden feeling of falling through the chair or bed or through a wall I may be leaning against at the time. This sudden dropping sensation in my head still gets my heart pumping to this day. This is not so frequent these days but still occurs every so often.
And the list goes on and on. Everything I have listed I have had to endure 24/7 since the 25th may 2007. Granted I have had 14 months where symptoms are of a less intensity some of the time but they are forever present even on my so called good days. As you can imagine my good days are not all that great compared to the person next to me but what can I do. Ill keep searching.

Swimmyhead

No comments:

Post a Comment