Thursday 7 May 2015

The Dirty Dozen

I have been fairly strict regarding the migraine diet these last couple of years. Sure there are times when I falter but my meals have been so boring since stopping many of the foods I enjoy that there are moments of weakness and I eat an ice cream or chocolate bar. To this day I still do not know what my food triggers are and still I am not convinced of the effectiveness of the migraine diet. I feel rotten eating those foods and I still feel rotten not eating those foods.I have found it very difficult to eliminate all possible triggers on a daily basis and still get an enjoyable nutritious meal. It's a difficult task. Below is a simplified list of common migraine trigger foods I found at http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/a-natural-approach-to-migraines

Here are the common food triggers, also known as the "Dirty Dozen,"
  • dairy products*
  • chocolate
  • eggs
  • citrus fruits
  • meat**
  • wheat (bread, pasta, etc.)
  • nuts and peanuts
  • tomatoes
  • onions
  • corn
  • apples
  • bananas
I still eat way too many tomatoes, meat and bread so maybe they are my problem foods. Two things I do avoid completely is Caffeine and  Monosodium Glutamate. There are more detailed lists on the web but I honestly believe they are impossible to stick to. You are essentially left with nothing but some greens and some fruits to eat. I do wonder if my diagnoses of vestibular migraine is correct since I am coming up to 8 years dizzy this month and the diet plan has not been that effective for me. Then again maybe it has helped a little since i have had weeks here and there less disorientated. I really don't know.

Swimmyhead

No comments:

Post a Comment