Tuesday 25 June 2019

More flying Time

Hi Guys

Just a quick update to say that I have been flying again. My previous post was about my experience flying with easy jet via there fearless flyer course. If you have read that you'll know that I went on that course in order to get on a plane for a short while to see how flying would impact my vestibular problem. It was a strange experience. Especially take off but it was worth it.

It was worth it because I didn't let the disconcerting sensations I experienced whilst flying that day put me off flying in the future. Instead I booked a trip and jumped on a plane again. I admit I was a little anxious about that day arriving mainly because of the busy day ahead one would expect when travelling. I'm never sure how my symptoms will be on any given day. They are always up and down. I just hoped that come the day of the trip I wouldn't feel too bad. Fortunately I was ok. Symptoms were manageable. I navigated the busy airport and all it's reflective floors and lights pretty well. Eventually however the crowds and lighting started to get to me and my symptoms increased but I only had to wait a little over 2 hours to get on the plane.

I sat down in my seat and was a little anxious about speeding down the run way and take off. I also felt uneasy due to the rocking of the plane as people were boarding and finding their seats. The movement of feet up and down the cabin made me feel like I was on a boat. It settled quickly though once everyone had sat down. I was glad to have a window seat. This helped last time and it helped this time. To be able to look out into the distance works wonders for me. I can fix my gaze on the wing beside me or something in the distance and it really helps to steady my wonky head.

So we started speeding down the runway and to my surprise the speed and the bumpiness didn't phase me at all this time. It felt fine. We then lifted into the air and that is when my brain or inner ear or whatever goes in a state of shock, ha. It was a very strong sensation of floating and head pressure and bewilderment. There is no spinning or anything like that it's just uncomfortable. It's like I feel lost in space, in a bubble. I really don't know how to describe it. It's not pleasant but thankfully once the plane becomes steady. It all feels ok. I know that the window seat is a must during take off. It allows me to see what's happening rather than just feel the odd sensations. The plane would tilt here and there and I was very aware of this and each time I would gaze out of the window to ease the strange head sensation that accompanied each tilt of the plane. Occasionally the plane will hit a few slight bumps. These produce odd head sensations but nothing alarming. I felt the descent more this time around but it was fine. Then we arrived at our destination. I'm glad to say I felt no different getting off the plane compared to getting on the plane. There was no lasting effects whatsoever.

The trip was good. I walked through the busy town and walked hours up and down the beach each day. Surprisingly I got sunburnt and looked like a lobster, ha. I felt proud of myself for travelling and being active. It's been a lifetime since I took on a task like this. It was great to be out in the world. Never free of my vestibular symptoms of course but I was alright. Taking a trip is not something I could have done during the first 8-9 years but I have proved to myself that I can do it now. It's not easy but it's doable.

Anyway, the flight back was surprisingly great overall. I still experienced that disorientation when the plane left the ground but it wasn't as overwhelming as my previous two flights and it was over much more quickly. I spent the entirety of the flight home enjoying the experience. The odd sensations when the plane tilted and the bumps were still there but I expected them and they didn't feel so uneasy. Overall the flight home was steady and smooth but as we were coming into land we hit some pretty harsh turbulence. The plane was bumping and rocking side to side. Some people behind me sounded pretty scared but even through that I was relaxed and dare I say enjoyed it. The turbulence  didn't make me any dizzier, it didn't make me nauseous. I actually found it exhilarating. I owe that to Easy Jets fearless flying course that I did back in March. The pilots that day talk about the common misconceptions people have about flying. Turbulence is a major topic. What I learned about turbulence that day enabled me to completely relax throughout it. We landed safely.

The whole trip experience was amazing. So much so that I have another trip (flights) booked over the summer but this time to a further destination meaning a longer flight time. I want to see how longer flights will impact my vestibular disorder. I'm hoping they won't have any impact of course. So wish me luck.

Keep pushing forwards

Swimmyhead


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you. I felt like I was on the plane next to you. Congratulations, you won a battle and you will win the war.
    Your friend Kerozen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. Onwards and upwards

    Swimmyhead

    ReplyDelete