Saturday 5 December 2020

Effexor - Venlafaxine

 Hey Guys

What a crazy year 2020 has been. I will be glad to see the back of it as I'm sure you will. Nothing has really changed vestibular symptoms wise. I'm still dealing with it all on a daily basis. Since Covid appeared I have had no doctor appointments except a skype chat with a new neurologist recently. He thinks it's time I come off of my 50mg daily dose of nortriptyline ( I have been taking it daily for 8 years now) and wants me to try a different medication for my dizziness called Effexor (also called Venlafaxine here in the UK). 

I have known about this medication for probably 10 years now but have never had the chance to try it. Some of you have kindly messaged me over the years telling me to try this particular medication. I have mentioned Effexor many times to doctors in the past but for whatever reason I never was prescribed it. 

Anyway, I have been tapering down my dosage of nortriptyline these last 4 weeks and will take my last tablet tomorrow.  I think I will then give my body a rest from medication for a week or two then call my GP to start the Effexor. It is supposed to be successful for some in treating vestibular migraine and PPPD. I have had both of those diagnoses over the years so we shall see. 

I'm excited to try it and pray it helps me finally get some relief. At this point (13 years in) I reluctantly accept I probably will never feel 100% and that is fine but if this medication could just lessen the symptoms noticeably and is consistent in doing so that would be amazing. I will except that since no medication I have ever tried has really helped much at all/if at all.

I am slightly concerned about possible new side effects but that is the chance you take I guess. Right now I have been feeling nauseous for the past three days which isn't nice. I think it could be a result of tapering my Nortriptyline. It seems Nausea is a common side effect of withdrawal from this drug. 

I have also been prescribed a small amount of Cinnarizine which is another medication I never tried before.

So there you have it guys. I'm keeping my fingers crossed Effexor will help me. If that does not maybe the Cinnarizine will. 

Take care

Swimmyhead

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete