Saturday 5 October 2013

Vestibular Migraine Diet


I have been pretty strict regarding my diet these past 16 months eliminating so called migraine triggers. Some of my favourite foods such as cheese and pizza no longer pass my lips but I am slimmer for it. Some foods that are considered migraine triggers and which I no longer consume are:

  • Chocolate
  • Citrus
  • Cheese
  • Pizza
  • Dairy
  • Yogurt
  • Cakes
  • Biscuits
  • Sweets
  • Packaged/processed foods
  • White bread
  • Crisps - actually I do eat crisps but make sure that they have no MSG (monosodium glutamate)
  • Soups
  • Desserts
  • McDonalds
  • Chinese
  • Caffeine
  • Fizzy drinks 
In all honesty I cannot say if eliminating specific foods like the above has helped my condition. It is hard to tell if I have a trigger as I am always dealing with a level of vertigo and dizziness. Foods do not make the vertigo appear as it is always present. I have had a slightly better 16 months since my migraine diagnoses but I feel any improvements have been because of the medication I have been given. Of course the diet may be playing a role too but I honestly don't know. I have read that for some migraine sufferers small diet change is all it takes to recover. So it is worth a shot. I will say I have had less headaches but again it's probably the migraine preventative medications I am taking.

 Here is some advice and info regarding diet and vestibular migraine:

http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/treatment/vestibular-diet

A link to a page on my dizziness and vertigo website that has a link to a more detailed migraine diet list: The link is in blue and is titled migraine diet.

 http://dizzinessandvertigo.weebly.com/migraine-asscociated-vertigo-mav.html

Swimmyhead

No comments:

Post a Comment