Friday 9 May 2014

Eyes

I have had a few decent days this week. More stable and easier to move about without having to be aware of every turn or step I make. Once again I do not know why the dizziness and motion intolerance has calmed somewhat. There is no rhyme or reason but it's a pleasant change as you can imagine. However I have been having an issue with tinnitus in my right ear this past week. It is not something I have had to deal with before and it's rather annoying when in a quiet room or when going to sleep. It's not a ringing as such more like a faint broken whistle. Now it could be down to the fact that I have been mixing music via headphones lately (I hope I have not done any permanent damage due to the noise exposure) or more hopefully something is changing for the better as I am more steady (wishful thinking maybe). Anyway It ain't too bad but I do hope it goes away.

In my last post I talked about the eye condition vertical heterophoria (misaligned eyes) and how it's symptoms appear to mimic vestibular dysfunction symptoms. It is something I will be looking further into as I feel and always have that my eyes are causing the vertigo/disorientation I live with. Ever since my vertigo attack that started this nightmare, my eyes have never felt the same. It has always felt like I have to strain and battle with my eyes to keep focus or my gaze stable. It feels like my eyes work independently and not together. For instance talking to somebody can wear me out and increase all the balance and visual issues within minutes and I swear it is because I have to fight to keep a stable gaze and focus. I really feel that the vertigo and the years dealing with it has effected my eye muscles and maybe that is why I am stuck with this issue. I have never had to wear glasses fortunately but maybe prism glasses might just help. I know I have nystagmus (involuntary movement of the eyes) thanks to the vertigo but I think it would be wise to get tested for exophoria and in particular vertical heterophoria since I have double and blurred vision frequently. Exhaust every avenue I say.

One other thing to mention is that I thought I would begin (once again) doing basic vestibular rehab exercises 2x a day. Simple moves such as holding my finger out at arms length and moving my head left and right whilst maintaining focus on my finger etc. Basically I am doing a number of eye strengthening exercises. I have done this many times before for months on end without success but now that more time has past maybe they will help (again wishful thinking). It just feels right to try.

Here is a link to some Cawthorne Cooksey Exercises (eye and body exercises)

Swimmyhead

No comments:

Post a Comment