Thursday 14 August 2014

TMJ

Feel really crappy upon waking today. Very heavy, full pressured and swaying head. It doesn't help feeling tired. It is also a dull start to the day so the rooms are darker in the house and that is probably contributing to the spaced out feeling and balance problems as it always does (weird). I have not felt this uncomfortable for some time. I have a dentist appointment next Thursday, I hope to god I do not wake up feeling like this having to walk into town and sit in the further vertigo inducing dentist chair.

I do actually have a question to ask my dentist next week. Over the years I have heard about a Jaw condition called TMJ. It is when your jaw is misaligned and it can cause issues opening your mouth and pain in the jaw as well as popping,crunching,clicking of the jaw. Anyway I have read that this condition may cause vertigo as it is so close to the ear. Now I have always thought it was nonsense that your jaw could cause vertigo so have never ever asked anybody about this problem. For many years now I have been unable to open my mouth wide without fear of it locking, it seems to dislocate and jump sharply to the right when doing so. I have a very loud snapping/crunching sound when opening my mouth wide and sometimes when I eat. The crunching can cause mild pain on the right side of my jaw. My father actually had TMJ when I was a child. I remember him having an operation on his jaw to stop the clicking he experienced when eating. However, I do not recall him ever experiencing vertigo or dizziness of any kind. It seems like I have inherited a wonky jaw.I guess it cannot do any harm asking my dentist next week about the TMJ and if it could be related to the constant dizziness I have. Exhaust all avenues I say.

Here are 2 links to videos about TMJ:

Michigan head and neck institute video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wii5Tcd_5ek

TMJ for Dummies Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUiQqwVknjhMHKmQM8LL_b5w&v=xjSlRZnfvIc#t=225

Swimmyhead




No comments:

Post a Comment