Thursday 28 August 2014

Gluten Ataxia

Hi Guys

After having been on the migraine diet for suspected chronic MAV these past 2 years or so I have developed a small interest in food and have learned a little about clean foods and not so clean foods and the various chemicals and ingredients some foods contain. Another reason I am interested in good food is simply because I attempt to perform daily exercise at home and good nutrition is important for the body to fuel energy and repair itself after exercise.

The migraine diet has not cured my vertigo as I think the days that my symptoms are less intense are due to the medication I am taking, but who knows? Anyway due to my interest in food and because I am always searching for an answer to my dizziness, I happened to stumble upon a condition known as gluten ataxia which is caused by the consumption of wheat, rye and barley. For some reason or other it is only recently that I found that wheat is one of the foods you should not eat whilst on  a migraine diet. Upon learning this I did nothing about it because if I took wheat out of my diet on top of the other foods I have eliminated I wouldn't know what to eat. I happen to eat plenty of wheat daily and am now wondering if the gluten intake is contributing to my dizziness and equilibrium problem. A gluten intolerance can cause many health issues some being problems with balance and equilibrium and vertigo (gluten ataxia).

I have never concerned myself about gluten before but have often wondered why for the past 12 years my upper abdomen and chest hurts after eating noodles,bread and cereal for example. I always brushed it of as one of those things that everybody deals with from time to time only its much more frequent for me these days. My stomach hurts maybe 4-5 times a week 20 min after eating certain things. So as of next week I am going gluten free for 2 months. I have found some gluten free alternatives to the food I eat and we shall see how it goes. If the abdomen pain goes away that would be a blessing. If going gluten free helps my overall wellness (as it appears to do for many people)  then that would be quite something. No harm in trying. Like I always say exhaust all avenues.

Maybe it is something to think about guys

Here are some links about gluten ataxia and gluten intolerance:

Is dizziness a sign of gluten allergy

Gluten Ataxia

livingwithout.com - Gluten ataxia

No comments:

Post a Comment