Thursday 8 August 2013

Living with Chronic Vertigo

Whilst browsing youtube I found a very informative video from a young woman describing her experience living with vestibular dysfunction. I am sure that just like me you will be able to relate to all that she has to say. Link below:

 http://youtu.be/sVD1KUIV89A

I actually feel sad after watching it, as it reminds me that many others have to live life the way I have been living. I mean I read about other people's experiences dealing with dizziness and vertigo but to actually see their faces in video form really drills it home. It makes me sad that us vertigo sufferers feel like we need to explain our illness and our actions because of it's invisible nature. However, it is personal videos like this one that help provide vertigo sufferers like me comfort and reassurance that we are not alone battling such a debilitating disorder. I appreciate how brave these guys are going on video and sharing such a personal story. Maybe I will make a video in the future.

Dizziness and vertigo is not a mental issue that we make up or can just stop thinking about. It is a real physical disorder of the inner ear and brain that manifests in debilitating visual and physical symptoms/sensations. The only mental aspect to a vestibular disorder is the depression one might experience due to the sudden life altering effects of vestibular dysfunction. Many think it's depression or anxiety that makes us feel dizzy. In actual fact we are depressed and anxious because of battling overwhelming disorientation all day everyday, not the other way around.

Who wouldn't be depressed living with such a isolating, debilitating and poorly understood/treated chronic condition? Our family life, social life, work life and everyday life are hugely affected and in many cases completely halted by our relentless symptoms.

It is not an illness that will get better overnight, it is not an illness that their is a magic pill for and it isn't an illness that one can learn to live with as there is no consistency (base level) and symptoms fluctuate and intensify and morph from one hour to the next. For many long term sufferers there is not a straightforward linear recovery. instead it's half a step forward and 6 giant steps back.

Swimmyhead

No comments:

Post a Comment