Tuesday 25 June 2013

I feel dizzy or do I?

When I first became ill, I had no clue about how to describe my symptoms or the powerful sensations of motion I was experiencing. I went to the doctor and simply told him I felt really dizzy. I did not know that what I was really experiencing was vertigo. I had always assumed that vertigo was a fear of heights anyway. Once I learned about vertigo and that it was vertigo I was suffering from, I began to use the term to describe my symptoms to friends, family and people who asked how I was. It quickly became apparent that they had no idea what I was talking about. So to keep things simple I would substitute the word vertigo and tell them I was really dizzy (most people can relate to feeling dizzy or lightheaded). I have to admit it pains me to this day to describe my relentless and often overwhelming symptoms simply as dizziness. Yes I am dizzy but vertigo dizziness is so much more than that.

 So I thought I would give you my understanding of both terms to help you better describe your situation:

Dizziness:
Dizziness is a feeling of light-headedness or could be described as a "spaced out" sensation. An example of dizziness could be when you stand up too quickly and you become light headed and need a couple of seconds to compose yourself. You do not feel as though you or the world around you is moving. A nauseous feeling may accompany dizziness. A person may feel faint.

Vertigo:
Is the illusion of motion inside your head and of the outside environment. Your surroundings feel and appear as if they are moving when in reality there is no movement at all. This movement can be violent. If you feel like me, you will experience a whole host of symptoms at any one time. You may feel as though you are spinning, falling, or being pushed and pulled. The world may appear to sway side to side or up and down, floors and walls may appear to bend or arc. The floor may feel like it's lifting you up and down or being dragged out from under you. You will also feel dizzy, light headed and "spaced out" The world may look like you are seeing it through the heat of a flame or from inside a goldfish bowl

I have often told friends and family that it is like I am permanently walking around wearing someone else's prescription glasses (imagine how uncomfortable that would be). I am sure everybody has at one time or another put on a family members or friends glasses only to see how distorted, bendy and wrong the world appears through them. Well my visual vertigo is similar to that but without the magnification. Add some intense constant motion to the mix and that is my world.

  
Here is  a link to a Youtube video about the difference between dizziness and vertigo:  http://youtu.be/rMgOM_HzUKg


I hope this helps the next time someone asks how you are feeling.

Swimmyhead
 



No comments:

Post a Comment