Friday 21 June 2013

Waking up Feeling Tired

Before the Vertigo struck me way back in 2007 I never had sleeping problems. I would sleep eight hours and wake up with a spring in my step. That all changed with the onset of my balance disorder. For the first three years I had to sleep with my head upright every night as lying on either side would cause my world to spin, hell even keeping still and my head upright would cause my head to spin somewhat but it was my only option. I noticed that instead of waking up raring to go, I would wake up feeling tired all the time convinced I had just gone ten rounds with mike Tyson. This wasn't just a few morning here and there but every single morning year after year. I just felt exhausted.  One of the worst aspects of waking up with a vestibular disorder was and still is the fact that my vision bounces the very second I open my eyes, I cannot maintain my gaze in one place so the room appears as if it is moving and jerking. It's not a pleasant experience. I have to sit upright in order for the bouncing to calm somewhat. Once up, the next 30-60min of pottering around the house becomes a balancing act with vertigo, foggy head.

The reason I bring this up is because the past 12 months have given me some better days/weeks and mornings. The exercise I do and the new medication have helped. I now can sleep on either side and have been waking up with more energy and less tiredness with my constant symptoms being less intense throughout the day. The bouncing vision upon opening my eyes continues but it settles once upright.

However, this past few weeks I am waking up feeling like I have just done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson again. Exhausted with a foggy head and increased illusion of motion. Symptoms seemed to have ramped up and are more intense all day long. I am also going to bed with a slight headache and waking up with one.

The only reason I can think of for the tiredness and increase in my symptoms is that for the past few weeks I have been working on a creating a website daily, typing this blog, producing music all of which requires long hours in front of a computer screen, add to this the exercise I force myself to do. I think my vestibular system has been overloaded. To a normal person this probably sounds ridiculous but I tell you even the smallest amount of concentration spent by a dizzy person can increase their vestibular symptoms and quickly wear them out. Anyway, the tired stiff eyes ,headache and heaviness in the morning is more than likely because of the time spent staring at the computer screen. I think I will cut down and take a few more breaks which will hopefully result in better mornings and more manageable days again.

No comments:

Post a Comment