Tuesday 18 June 2013

Another Fuzzy Day

It has been another fuzzy day so far, the dull weather has not helped. It never does. Strange how the weather seems to effect how intense the vertigo is. A bright sunny day is better for everyone especially a dizzy (well in my case anyway).

For over six years I have spent every waking second disorientated, living in a dizzy hell after waking up one morning to a sudden acute attack of spinning vertigo. Most who experience this terrifying ordeal make a full natural recovery usually within weeks. Unfortunately I did not. Instead I have had to live with severe balance, visual problems every second since. I know that may be hard to swallow but I swear I have not had one second of relief since that morning. It has been difficult to say the least.

I cannot believe this is my seventh summer still looking out at the world through fuzzy, bendy, distorted vision as if I have a permanent goldfish bowl placed over my head. Every summer since 2007 I have sat in my backyard and said to myself  "Ill be better next summer". That summer has yet to appear. However, a year ago I was finally diagnosed with Migraine associated vertigo. It took nearly 5 years to finally get this firm diagnoses as I have had everything from Bppv to Labyrinthitis etc.

So began a new treatment plan of migraine preventative medication, migraine diet, vestibular rehabilitation and light exercise. I am not jumping for joy just yet as I still have worse days and weeks and still have to deal with all the daily balance/visual symptoms but at a lesser intensity most of the time. For so long I had trouble just walking and standing so working out was never an option but now I can workout again. Sure, i have to force myself to workout as I am dizzy before I even begin but I push myself through it and have found it to help that heavy head feeling I have every morning.  I don't lift weights like I used to. Instead I perform some light cardio 3-4 times a week.

Thanks to the combination of exercise and a very strict (no Fun) migraine diet of NO chocolate ,caffeine, cheese, crisps, fresh bread, dairy, red wine and MSGs etc) I have lost nearly 40 pounds which feels great and is quite the achievement given the circumstances.  Over the first 5 years of relentless vertigo I piled on 40 pounds due to the amount of inactivity but I am proud to say it has dropped off resulting in a fitter, better looking 156 pound dizzy these days. I just wish the dizziness would fall off like the weight has.

Dizziness aside, I am contemplating what I should do this evening. I am a card magic lover and have done my daily practice today. I also have a small music studio as I love to remix and create music but have spent all weekend doing that and now my migraine brain and ears need a rest. Therefore it is a toss up between the finale of the third season of Game of Thrones (last episode was immense) or the show Hannibal. Actually, I think I might watch them both whilst practicing my card moves.

Swimmyhead


No comments:

Post a Comment