Thursday 3 July 2014

Invisible Disability

Is vestibular dysfunction a disability? I would have to say yes although I do know many people and a certain doctor who would scoff at  the idea. Anyone living with a considerable long term vestibular deficit I am sure would agree with me. In fact I am sure many guys and girls who have experienced vertigo for a only week or two would also agree.

To be absolutely honest I am not comfortable describing my condition as disability. In fact I feel like a liar and a fraud if I ever mention the word. Most people including myself would consider broken limbs/missing limbs, blindness etc as being disability's which of course they are. They restrict a person from doing normal activity's and living everyday life with ease.

This is what my condition has done to me. It has impacted my life greatly and made simple tasks such as walking around my house, preparing food, going out or holding conversation pretty damn difficult and demanding. I am not exaggerating. I could go on and on about the numerous ways it effects my daily life. Quality of life is seriously effected if one is suffering from vestibular dysfunction.

We sufferers get no sympathy only sly smiles and remarks. I know you guys have felt the same way when trying to express how you feel to friends and family and even doctors. I for one have always felt stupid which of course I should not but I have no bandage on my head or missing limb(thank god) to show the true impact it has on me second to second.

I guess it all depends on the level of dysfunction one is suffering from to understand what I am saying. I have read about many people who can still live life and work through the dizziness and they would be first to admit that they are lucky they have not been hit harder like other people such as myself. I mean it's done a real number on me. The level of disorientation I have had to put up with especially the entire duration of the first five years was absolute hell. I am still not better and am still restricted as to what I can and cannot do on a daily basis.

Yes I can walk, yes I can turn a corner ,yes I can read or lift my leg up. I can now even workout from time to time but does this mean those tasks are easy and that life is easy for me? I know looking from the outside I look pretty damn capable but I tell you that we living with vestibular dysfunction find all of those simple tasks and many more very demanding.

Vestibular dysfunction is a cruel invisible disability that that not many take seriously. We go to bed at night rocking and swaying through the mattress and wake up to our daily tightrope walking act. It isn't fun and it is not easy living with a broken vestibular system. A system that is vital in making sense of our surroundings and spatial awareness. A system that controls our balance, makes sense of our visual and auditory inputs. A system that works hand in hand with our muscles and joints.

It is a disability but it is hopefully a disability that we long term sufferers will hopefully overcome. I try to see it as a temporary disability one I will eventually recover from.

Swimmyhead

No comments:

Post a Comment