Wednesday 17 July 2013

A regular sleep pattern

This morning I feel rather tired. I have a slight headache and the sensation of the floor lifting me up and down is more present. I managed to get 6 hours sleep last night which in my former dizzy free life used to be more than enough for me but ever since the dizziness I have found that 6 hours tends to worsen my symptoms. Its too little. However, If I sleep for 8 hours which I hardly ever do then that amount of time can also increase my vertigo. It seems that the magic number is 7 hours. For some weird reason 7 hours is not too little or not too much, my dizziness and vertigo reacts better to 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep. The trouble is that lately I seem to waking up every couple of hours.

Talking of sleeping, I know many people enjoy what are called power naps. For me they make my balance and vertigo 10 times worse. I have never enjoyed a quick nap during the day or evening and it is something I have hardly ever done. These days I avoid it as best as I can because of how it effects my symptoms. Power naps are supposed to make you feel refreshed and recharge your batteries but they just drain me. I do recall a physiotherapist of mine telling me that napping must be avoided by people suffering from vestibular migraine and I guess migraine in general. People with migraine issues are supposed to stick to a strict sleeping routine with no variation. You are supposed to go to bed at night at the same time every night and get up in the morning the same time every morning. No napping in between. Vestibular dysfunction of any kind will tire you and many times I have had to fight my bodies want to nap. I hate those times when you lie down and your eyes begin to close as you begin to nod off and your not quite asleep but at the same time sort of dreaming. They always makes me more disorientated and nauseous.

A regular sleep pattern is something I find very hard to stick to. Sometimes I get 5 hours of broken sleep unable to nod off again and other times 8 hours completely uninterrupted. The times I go to sleep and wake up generally vary also. It is something that I must try to be stricter with as I am very strict when it comes to exercise, migraine diet,water intake and medication. I don't think including a regular sleeping pattern will magically cure me of my vertigo but it may help reduce symptoms from time to time.

http://dizzinessandvertigo.weebly.com/

Swimmyhead

No comments:

Post a Comment