Friday 26 July 2013

Barometric pressure and dizziness

I thought it would be worth mentioning that every time there is a sudden change in barometric pressure my vertigo and dizziness go insane. I know that it sounds rather stupid but I promise you I can honestly "feel when a storm is coming". During the past 6 years there have been a number of thunder storms and each time my vertigo (illusion of movement) and balance problems become much more intense and my vision fuzzes up greatly. The constant pressure and fullness in my head also increases. It is as if I am looking at the world through a haze or static, rooms appear smokey. It is hard to describe, I simply go back to feeling completely "out of it". This completely "out of it " sensation is a feeling that I am all too familiar with as I was completely "out of it" for the entire first 5 years of my vestibular illness.

Anyway, a couple of nights ago there was a few rumblings of thunder off in the distance and my symptoms heightened and I was back in my very fuzzy swaying world. There is a link between Migraine/vestibular migraine and barometric pressure. I have read about how pressure changes can increase headaches, vertigo and dizziness symptoms. This I can most certainly vouch for.

Still, everyday changes in weather effect me a great deal. For example a sunny day tends to lessen my vertigo somewhat. On the other hand a dull grey day increases my symptoms. I don't know, I must sound absolutely crazy but a vestibular problem can cause many crazy symptoms.

The thunder has heightened my symptoms again so I'm just sitting it out waiting for those rarer milder vertigo days I now occasionally experience.

 http://dizzinessandvertigo.weebly.com/

 https://twitter.com/Swimmyhead

Swimmyhead


11 comments:

  1. Wow, I am right there with you. I experience these same symptoms. It also reaps havoc on my nerves and anxiety. Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Nerves and anxiety go hand in hand with a vestibular disorder for sure. It would take a special someone to not feel such things when having to deal with the vestibular symptoms we sufferers live with.

      Delete
  2. I go through the exact same thing. Everytime a major change in weather I go into a dizzy foggy place. Diagnosed chronic vertigo 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Either you're not crazy, or we're both crazy. I experience this each and every time there is a drastic weather or seasonal change. I feel like my brain is floating and I cant think straight for days, sometimes weeks. Then it will suddenly lift, and i'll feel 100% again like nothing ever happened. It sucks because I can barely work sometimes and I feel like I lose weeks in this brain fogged depressed state.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I can relate to all that you said. I never feel 100% even when the fog lifts but I definitely feel better when it does. It can go on for weeks and weeks though then I will get a few days of much less intensity then it's repeat the cycle. Over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm fortunate to be "retired". So I'm lucky that I can lay on the couch on those spinnie days. But what kind of a life is it when you never know from one day to the next whether you'll be "on the couch" or not on a given day?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly. What kind of life is it. It's a struggle but we get through each day don't we. We have to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain I have had a bad neck and dizzy for weeks now. Its been very bad at times, even had a CT scan done to see if anything was wrong. nothing showed up but I do know when weather is coming because I get really loopy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your neck pain and dizziness has cleared up.

      Delete
  8. I have experienced a feeling of not having control of my balance whenever the weather changes. I veer to the right and sometimes it actually feels like someone has pushed me. I had menieires over 30 years ago and had a nerve section on the right side that left me deaf in my right ear. In 2012 on a flight to France I was seated beside a man with a severe repiratory infection. Needless to say I caught it. It was never diagnosed and some months later I began to have episodes of vertigo after being free of it since 1989. I eventually had episodes of periodic deafness in the left ear along with the occasional loss of balance. Today I am deaf in my left ear and hearing has returned in the right which 7 doctors cannot explain because the nerves were cut in 1989 leaving me completely deaf in that ear. Today I am back to being loopy, scared to drive and unable to even walk my dog. The weather is nasty. Seven doctors cannot explain why this happens to me. I have had CT scans and 2 MRIS showing nothing. It is extremely difficult some days just to do the simplest tasks. It makes my life very hard as my spouse works away from home and I am left to deal with this on my own quite often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you have been through so much. Menieres/ nerve section/balance problems. I know what it's like to have scans and the results come back clear yet we are left in this terrible position. It is extremely difficult to do the simplest of tasks some days. I totally agree. Only us sufferers will ever understand. Whatever this is might not kill us but it robs us of our life.

      Delete